Duntulm Castle - historical site NE Skye
Just off the A855, West of Duntulm, North Trotternish

Postcode / Grid / GPS: NG 410 742

Map: view location map in a new window

Originally this was an ancient Pictish fort known as Dun Dhaibidh. Duntulm (the fort of the island of Tulm) has changed hands between the MacLeods and the MacDonalds finally becoming the MacDonald’s chief dwelling place around 1539. This was an impressive castle with 50 foot cliffs on three sides. Once vacated in 1730 its stone was used to build the new MacDonald home at Monkstadt.