Bernera Barracks (Glenelg Barracks) - historical site Lochalsh
Between Glenelg and Galltair

Postcode / Grid / GPS: NG 813 197

Map: view location map in a new window

The Bernera Barracks were designed to support the existing military presence in this area. It was one of four barracks planned for the Highlands, the other three being at Inversnaid, Kilwhinnen and Ruthven. Construction started in 1720 and took three years to complete, it was to house four companies (240 men), but it is believed that only two were ever in residence. The barracks never saw action and were eventually bought back in 1797 by MacLeod of MacLeod for £925. By the 1830ís the barracks had become home for the poor and dispossessed.